Hull FC beat Wigan in Super League's first golden-point decider

Hull FC celebrate after Marc Sneyd kicks a match-winning drop-goal

Betfred Super League
Wigan (12) 22
Tries: Gildart 2, Byrne, Flower Goals: Hardaker 3
Hull FC (16) 23
Tries: Tuimavave, Westerman, Naulago 2 Goals: Sneyd 3 Drop-goal: Sneyd

Hull FC beat Wigan thanks to Marc Sneyd’s drop-goal in Super League’s first-ever golden-point extra time.

The hosts had come from 10 points down to level, with Zak Hardaker missing a tricky conversion to win the game with the last kick of normal time.

Tries from Carlos Tuimavave, Joe Westerman and debutant Ratu Naulago helped Hull to a slender interval lead.

Ben Flower and Oliver Gildart scored to force extra time for Wigan but Sneyd slotted to end Hull’s losing streak.

Reigning champions Wigan have lost two of their opening three Super League games – as well as suffering World Club Challenge title defeat last weekend – while for Hull it was a first victory in the competition since June following 13 consecutive defeats.

It was confirmed in January that the golden-point rule would be introduced to Super League, having already been used in knockout games in English competitions.

Sneyd’s match-winning drop-goal came three minutes into extra time – the game would have ended a draw had neither side scored after two additional five-minute periods.

Hull’s Fijian winger Naulago finished the game with two tries, having only signed a permanent deal on Friday after being given a temporary release from active service in the army.

Meanwhile, 37-year-old former England forward Gareth Ellis impressed in his 25-minute stint for Lee Radford’s side after coming out of retirement to play competitively for Hull for the first time since the end of the 2017 season.

Gildart scored the first try of the match for Wigan, with Liam Byrne going over on his debut before the break, though the home side had Taulima Tautai sin-binned for a high tackle just before the interval.

Wigan head coach Adrian Lam told BBC Radio Manchester:

“It’s disappointing that again we leaked too many points, we just looked flat and tired the whole game.

“I just think that they think it’s going to happen for them without putting in the hard work, being committed and having the attitude.

“I didn’t think we deserved to win but I did feel that we were going to win with five to 10 minutes to go.”

Hull FC coach Lee Radford told BBC Radio Humberside:

“You sometimes get a feeling – I just thought today was going to happen – I didn’t think it was going to happen in those circumstances.

“Thankfully we’d practiced holding onto a two-point lead and a one-point lead during the week and it paid dividends.

“What he (Gareth Ellis) brings before the game, the words he says in the changing room at the right time, with the right temperament and message – he’s like a breath of fresh air.”

Wigan: Hardaker, Davies, Sarginson, Gildart, Marshall, Williams, Leuluai, Bullock, Powell, Flower, Greenwood, Isa, O’Loughlin.

Replacements: Tautai, Byrne, Hamlin, Sammut.

Hull: Shaul, Naulago, Griffin, Tuimavave, Faraimo, Connor, Sneyd, Paea, Houghton, Matongo, Minichiello, S Manu, Westerman.

Replacements: Ellis, Lane, Litten, Thompson.

Referee: B Thaler.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)

BBC Sport – Rugby League

Leave a Reply