Boxing news: Nigel Benn comeback fight CALLED OFF after 55-year-old suffers shoulder injury

Nigel Benn has been forced to call off his comeback fight after suffering a shoulder injury.

The 55-year-old legend of British boxing had announced a stunning return against Sakio Bika for November 23 in Birmingham, but is now unable to compete.

Benn is now 55, but claimed he was fitter than ever

News Group Newspapers Ltd

Benn is now 55, but claimed he was fitter than ever

The news broke as Richard Pelham – a SunSport photographer – was in the Matchroom gym with Nigel and his son Conor Benn at the moment it became apparent he would not be able to continue.

Nigel explained to SunSport: “I have been dreaming of a one-off fight for years and I’m heartbroken I’ve had to call it off.”

Benn was due to be licenced by the British and Irish Boxing Authority (BIBA) rather than the British Boxing Board of Control (BBBofC) for the bout, which drew concerns from many observers as soon as it was first rumoured.

As recently as last week, the 55-year-old told talkSPORT: “I brought in my report from Harley Street, my fitness level that I just showed you.

“It says I’ve got the fitness of a 25-year-old. I’ve not stopped training since I retired.

“I’ve never, in my entire life, ever tried to con the British public. If I tell you that I’m more fit now, you better believe me.”

Let’s block ads! (Why?)

Boxing – talkSPORT

Leave a Reply